Stancliffs probably start with one of these:
- SAMUELL STANCLYFFE Christening: 28 DEC 1572 Halifax, Yorkshire
Father: EDWARD STANCLYFFE
- Samuel Stancliff Christening: 10 FEB 1576 Halifax, Yorkshire
Father: Richard Stancliff OR Stancliffe Mother: Jenet Best or Rest
these are from Elland near Halifax, but one apparently died and the other was only 13 in 1601...
- Sarah Firth Christening: 25 MAR 1576 Soyland, Elland, Yorkshire
Burial: 27 JUL 1576
Father: Gilbert Firth / GILBTI FURTH : Mother: Joan Riley
- SARAY FURTH Christening: 26 MAY 1588 Elland, Yorkshire
Father: EDMUNDI FURTH / Edmond Firth
SAMUEL STANCHLIFE Spouse: SARAH FIRTH Marriage: 15 FEB 1601 Bingley, Yorkshire, England
- THOMAS STANKLIFE Christening: 03 SEP 1602 Bingley, Yorkshire
- JOSEPH STANKLIFE Christening: 10 JUN 1604 Bingley, Yorkshire
- SAMUELL STANKLIFE Christening: 22 JAN 1609 Bingley, Yorkshire
all above: Father: SAMUELL STANKLIFE
SAMUELL STANCLIFFE Spouse: ANN HUDSONE
Marriage: 18 MAY 1641 Bingley, Yorkshire, England
- JOHN STANCLIFFE Christening: 30 APR 1643 Bingley, Yorkshire
Father: SAMUELL STANCLIFFE
Johan Stancliffe marriage not found
- SAMUELL STANCKLIFFE Christening: 17 JUL 1668 Bingley, Yorkshire
- JEREMYAH STANCKLIFFE Christening: 02 DEC 1670 Bingley, Yorkshire
- MARIA STANCKLIFE Christening: 09 JAN 1673 Bingley, Yorkshire
- LYDIA STANCLIFFE Christening: 26 MAR 1682 Bingley, Yorkshire
Father: JOHAN./JOHANNIS STANCLIFFE
Samuel Stanckliffe marriage not found
- HANNAH STANCLIF Birth: 04 MAR 1705 Armley, Yorkshire
Father: SAM. STANCLIF
- MARIE BAITSON Christening: 30 SEP 1654 Guiseley, Yorkshire
- GRACE BAITSON Christening: 30 AUG 1656 Guiseley, Yorkshire
- MERCEY BAITSON Christening: 16 OCT 1659 Guiseley, Yorkshire
- MERCY BAITSON Christening: 07 APR 1661 Guiseley, Yorkshire
- JOHN BAITSON Christening: 01 MAY 1664 Guiseley, Yorkshire
- WILLM BAITSON Christening: 24 FEB 1667 Guiseley, Yorkshire
all above - father Henrey Baitson
- - -
WILLIAM BATESON Spouse: ALLICE KIDD Marriage: 13 APR 1691 Saint Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire, England
- JANE BATESON Birth: 04 SEP 1693
Christening: 10 SEP 1693 Saint Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Death: 25 SEP 1693
- WILLIAM BATESON Birth: 09 OCT 1694 Christening: 18 OCT 1694 Saint Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire
- HANNAH BATESON Birth: 03 MAY 1698
Christening: 09 MAY 1698 Saint Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Death: 22 FEB 1702
- MATTHIAS BATESON Birth: 24 FEB 1702 Christening: 08 MAR 1702 Saint Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire: father WILLIAM BATESON
C1838. This watercolour sketch by John N. Rhodes (1809 - 1842) shows the Nave of Leeds Parish Church with the Altar in the distance. In the foreground the font can be seen standing on a raised dias. It is octagonal in shape and a padlock is carved on each face symbolising baptism as being the key to Christianity. This view of the Church shows the haphazard way the galleries had been erected, almost cutting through the fourteenth century clustered columns. There were far too many pews and pens of varying shapes and sizes. The galleries were accessed by dark stairways and the Chancel arch against which the organ of 1714 was positioned, was almost walled up. The watercolour records the old Church before the re-building which commenced in 1838. The artist was a patron at this time. (more small images & descriptions)
- from Leeds Photographic Archives (Leeds City Council) click link for larger pictures, comments and to buy prints.
- - -
MATTHIAS BATESON Spouse: HANNA STANCLIFF
Marriage: 05 MAY 1725 Armley, Yorkshire
- WILLIAM BATESON Christening: 21 JUN 1728 Armley, Yorkshire
Death: 21 AUG 1730
- SARAH BATESON Christening: 01 OCT 1731 Armley, Yorkshire
Death: 23 AUG 1742
- THO. BATESON Christening: 15 DEC 1732 Armley, Yorkshire
Death: 10 FEB 1733
- MATTHIAS BATESON Christening: 26 DEC 1733 Armley, Yorkshire
- HANA. BATESON Christening: 09 JUN 1739 Armley, Yorkshire
Death: 17 FEB 1741
- JOSE. BATESON Christening: 12 NOV 1736 Armley, Yorkshire
- SARAH BATESON Christening: 06 MAR 1743 Armley, Yorkshire
all above: Father: MATT. BATESON
JOSEPH BATESON Spouse: MARY WOOD
Marriage: 08 JAN 1760 Leeds, Yorkshire
- HANNAH BATESON OR BEATSON Christening: 04 SEP 1762 Armley, Yorkshire,
Father: JOSEPH BATESON OR BEATSON
- SARAH BATESON Christening: 25 JAN 1767 Armley, Yorkshire
- ANN BATESON Christening: 22 MAR 1769 Armley, Yorkshire
Death: 29 MAR 1770
- SAMUEL BATESON Christening: 10 FEB 1771 Armley, Yorkshire
- MARTHA BATESON Christening: 09 JUN 1776 Armley, Yorkshire
- JOSEPH BATESON Christening: 01 JAN 1779 Armley, Yorkshire,
all above : Father: JOSEPH BATESON
Joseph Tatham’s School, Leeds 1765-85, mostly Quakers, includes 'Mary North Tatham's Boarders, 1783-1802' - one of which is ' JOSEPH BATESON Wortley' - if this is the same one then he would have been six years old in 1785. There is also a Thomas Lupton of the same year who may be connected elsewhere on this tree.
notes from James:
- The birth record of Joseph b.1/1/1779: 'Joseph son of Joseph Bateson, Armley'
- 1841 census he is book-keeper for John Bateson, cloth manufacturer - maybe a son of John husband of Hannah Upton?
- The wedding record for Jos Bateson b. 12/11/1736: 'Joseph Bateson & Mary Wood, by Benjamin Tidswell. Wits. — John Croasdale, Thomas Hague'
- 1725 Wedding of Matthias/ Matthew and Hannah: 'Matthew Bateson and Hanna Stancliff'
- Hannah's birth record: 'A childe of Sam. Stanclif born March the 4, calld Hannah'
- 1691 wedding of Will. and allice: 'William Bateson and Allice Kidd, of middow Lane'
- Matthias's 1702 chr record: ' 'Matthias child of William Bateson, of Briggate'
- Hannah's 1698 chr record: 'Hannah, child of William Bateson, of Low Briggate'
- 22/2/1702 burial record: 'Hanna, daughter of William Bateson, of Briggate'
- I assume only the groom's/ father's place of residence was given... so between 1691 and 1698 William moved from Leeds Meadow Lane to Leeds Briggate??
- The only other thing is that you will notice that my Charlotte Augusta Bateson went to Tuprary, presumably Tipperary to give birth to Samuel. Presumably she was staying there for a long period with relatives
- Samuel Stancliffe is surely some relation to the non-conformist preacher Samuel Stancliffe.
- The Stancliffes are a big Halifax family